Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the selected candidate will generally be responsible for providing leadership to the Department in: – Quality Assurance and Compliance with CBL policies and International standards of quality assurance programmes/policies for food safety, sanitation, good manufacturing practices and OSHA.
Specifically, the person shall be responsible for the following:
1. Leadership and Management:
· Providing leadership in the implementation of PepsiCo’sG3D Quality and Food safety management program.
· Collaborating with section heads to facilitate the implementation and sustainability of QFESH integrated management system, Pepsi Quality Assurance System audit requirements and Occupational Safety best practices and regulations.
· Evaluating operational policies, procedures, processes and systems to identify opportunities for improvement and facilitate continual improvement.
2. Planning and Control:
· Creating, developing and implementing a proper plan with schedules for all quality assurance and food safety related departmental activities.
· Preparing the quality assurance budget and schedule expenditures.
3. Quality Assurance, Compliance and Control:
· Ensuring planned systematic activities are implemented so that food quality and safety requirements for the product and entire process chain (suppliers, raw material handling and storage, water treatment, syrup manufacture, bottle washing, handling, inspection and blending, filling, cap/crowning, analytical, microbiology, warehousing, transportation and trade management) are fulfilled.
· Providing guidance in trouble shooting and root cause analysis to solve and prevent problems on a continuous basis in the entire process chain.
· Driving the execution and compliance to all quality programs such as adherence to specifications and standards, GMP’s, HACCP, GHP. Food safety, food defense, quality programs and process.
· Devising testing methods and procedures.
· Maintaining product quality by enforcing quality assurance policies and procedures and government requirements
4. New Product Development:
· Participating in new product development and ensuring compliance to all relevant requirements and standards.
5. Regulatory Compliance and Certification:
· Initiating and providing guidance and ensuring compliance to the certifications by relevant bodies such as UNBS, PepsiCo and other regulatory bodies.
· Keeping abreast all applicable standards and communicating/applying/enforcing compliance and maintenance by CBL.
6. Health, Safety and Environment:
· Putting in place measures to protect workers from potentially hazardous work methods, processes and/or materials.
· Carrying out investigations on causes of accidents and ways of preventing them in future.
· Adhering to and complying with the approved company HSE policies and guidelines.
7. Supplier Development and Management:
· Ensuring supply of quality raw, packaging, sanitation, process materials, reagents, chemicals and equipment.
· Providing and ensuring the suppliers meet the latest quality standards as per PepsiCo, CBL and UNBS and any other regulatory body requirements.
· Timely following up of any quality discrepancies and feedback.
· Leading the approval of specifications, artworks, samples where and as applicable.
· Providing technical advice to suppliers in form of troubleshooting, systems development to aid certification of third-party audits.
· Coordinating all certification and quality issues between PepsiCo and the suppliers e.g. supplier audits, sample submission to approved third party labs.
8. Reporting and Accountability:
· Preparing, negotiating and managing an efficient departmental budget and monitor departmental expenses to ensure adherence to the approved budget.
9. System Audits:
· Overseeing internal quality assurance audits and follow up on actions.
· Interfacing with external auditors or auditing bodies and providing the necessary information.
· Ensuring that all findings from both internal and external audits are addressed in a timely manner.
10. Human Resource Management:
· Identifying staffing needs and ensure adequate staffing in the department.
· Identifying training needs, mentoring and coaching staff, and ensuring trained personnel handle day to day activities.
· Executing all human resource programs according to the CBL HR policies, procedures and programs and the overall strategic plan.
- Business acumen
- Planning and Organizing
- Strong leadership skills
- Analytical and numerical skills
- Risk management
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Negotiation skills
· Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science and Technology/ Science Technology (Biological, Chemistry)/ Industrial Chemistry.
· Relevant working experience of seven years with at least five years at managerial level
· Master’s Degree in Food Science and Technology/ Science Technology (Biological, Chemistry)/ Industrial Chemistry or related field shall be an added advantage.
If you meet the above requirements and are interested in taking up this opportunity, send your application, accompanied by a detailed CV and copies of your academic certificates to the Human Resource Manager, Crown Beverages Limited, P.O. Box 20021, Kampala – not later than 15th December 2019.